Monday, April 13, 2009

Political turmoil in Thailand?!?! & A.D.D.

Something I've learned about myself in China is that I have A.D.D. Actually...some people have told me that I have tourettes. I like to believe the former.

I have been bouncing around the internet all day long and ditched my Chinese & Management classes. My primary intention was to do research on the 10 Economic/Marketing reading reports I'm supposed to do by the end of my study abroad semester. Since setting this goal upon myself this morning, I have learned about the Thai government and political color definitions, looked into the application process for the Peace Corps, undoubtedly lurked numerous Facebook profiles, briefly touched on Madascagar, wrote a post about Thailand, created a To Do list, got some food, stole some chips and salsa from a classmate, and exfoliated the dead skin off my previously sunburnt body. I also took a 4 hour nap today. Yes, all very interesting I know.

Most of my attention today has been devoted to Thailand due to the sudden upheaval of the Thai government - red shirts, supporters of the former Prime Minister Thaskin decided to kick off the Thai New Year with a huge protest. The government declared a State of Emergency in Bangkok and a military coup was formed as an attempt to maintain peace and order. The Thai Military shot off rounds of ammo into the crowd and 49 were injured. A couple of years ago the yellow-shirts over-threw the government and now the red shirts are trying to do the same. Details of the clusterfuck here. So after learning this bit of crazy news I went on a Wiki Adventure. Did you know that Thailand's King Bhumibol Alduyadej is the longest-serving Monarch? He never makes any comments about politics but if any negative comments are made towards the King, critics can be jailed for 3-15 years.

I began thinking about the people I met in Thailand: Catherine, a Peace Corps volunteer teaching English to Thai teachers. She was my scuba diving buddy and we were known as "Team America, Fuck yea!" I wonder how the political unrest is affecting her travels and stay in Thailand? Others I know traveling throughout Thailand: 2 Canadian high school graduates, a Dutch couple that quit their jobs, and a friend from Northeastern that's spending Spring Break there....I am worried about their well-being!

Anyway, enough about Thailand. I promise to focus on China next time...if my A.D.D. permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment