Sunday, April 12, 2009

Escaping to Never Neverland, aka Thailand


There have been a lot of things running through my head lately. But before I can get to it, I need to briefly touch base on Thailand for the sake of documenting memories.

To be brief - Bangkok was cluttered, dirty, and filled with color. Buildings and temples lined with gold and other interesting colors, bright lollipop cabs, tuk-tuks, fruit stands, jewelry stands, everything you can think of stands, and smiling junklers aka "salespeople" of souvenirs and knock-offs. The weather was as hot and sticky as a rice bun.

We departed for Koh Tao as soon as humanly possible on an 8 hr. night bus. I signed up for the Open-Water Padi Scuba Diving course that included accomodation. The island was small, peaceful, and the main hub for divers with a tight budget. I highly recommend going to Crystal Dive Resort if you're ever interested in getting certified. I had the best scuba instructor, Winnie, a badass from Denmark. Being in Koh Tao for a week after living in Shanghai for 2 months changed my perspective on life dramatically. Yes, bold words but it did! Everything that concerned me prior to the trip was washed away with a delicious fruit shake blended freshly on the spot. BCD inflatable? Check.

Diving in Koh Tao was AMAZINGGGGGGGG - I still can't believe I'm an Open Water Diver now!!! I went on 5 dives as well as a night dive. I saw Banner Fish, Sting Rays, Angel Fish, the all-to-famous TRIGGER FISH, schools of Yellow-Tail Barracuda and a ton of other fish I can't name. The night dive was like diving in another galaxy. I think aliens do exist, they just live underwater. I kind of felt like Darth Vader with my regulator and air tank.

I also experienced Muy Thai fighting as a spectator - the first match was between two little Thai boys, who fought like warriors. I felt like I was witnessing a medieval gladiator match or a video game - I dunno. It's strange to pay money to watch little children fight. Anyway, the next 4 matches were a lot more ethically pleasing to watch because the matches consisted of grown men. It was great to glug a Chang beer and swat the mosquitos while cheering on a game I have no knowledge of whatsoever.

I also rented an ATV and went on joy-rides around the island. I bought a pair of knock-off Raybans and vroomed around in my bikini. Basically, I was just a badass. Freedom Beach will always be a personal favorite of mine.

I met a lot of great people, in my diving course and randomly throughout. Israeli's, Canadians, Dutch, Germans, French, English, everrryyyyyyyything--all 21 flavors. And the majority of them had basically said, "Peace out real Life. I'm going to Never Neverland where people look young and happy and play in the sun all day." Yea....they have the right idea. That's what I'm going to do when I hit 30 or 35.

The one thing I miss about Thailand is the fact that I could just walk to the bar on the beach and whoever was there was always down to hang out from the get-go. No plans were ever necessary.

All in all it was the best Spring Break I've ever had....I've definitely walked away (more like crawled away) from this trip with the realization that there's no rush to follow the plan, if it should be followed at all. The road less-traveled is definitely more interesting, intellectually rewarding, and of course more fun :D

Happy Easter!

UPDATE: Good thing I left Bangkok in time....Political Unrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment