Friday, March 6, 2009

FIRST MONTH!

So...I can't believe I've been in Shanghai for a month already! In Chinese I would say, "Shijian zhen quai!" TIME FLIES. I would have started this blog earlier, and I wish I did...but...I've been busy. The first week was spent getting to know everyone in the program and exploring Shanghai, as well as trying our damndest to beautify our abysmal dorm rooms. As a spoiled American, I was appalled to see that our toilet was located inside the shower. Although at least they are not squatters. There are many questionable stains all over my dorm room. Also...there is not dryer and everyone hang-dries their clothes outside! Very interesting - but at least they are conserving energy!

So, it's hard to squish a month of craziness into one post - but here are some highlights: Scavenger hunt with the Chinese roommates, a mini field trip to the Urban Planning Center to see how Shanghai's constructing seems to be traveling at the speed of light, participating in the awesome nightlife at Shanghai, cab rides galore (very cheap), a weekend trip to Shao Xing, Ningbo, and Xinchang Valley, eating Shanghai's famous Xiao Long Bao (soup dumplings), bargain shopping in the underground, and more! That weekend trip to Shao Xing was amazing and it definitely deserves a separate post...

As a Chinese-American that has zero knowledge of the language, I am very excited to announce that I am able to carry very basic conversations. Everytime I get into a cab, I make sure that I strike up a conversation - usually I just learn the driver's name, how many people are in his family, and what he likes to eat or do. Not too shabby for only taking Chinese for a month. Although sometimes I feel like I am in a Chinese boot camp - we take 3 hours of Chinese 4x a week.

My Chinese roommate is AWESOME. She is from Weihai, in city in Shandong province about 12hrs. north of Shanghai by bus. She is definitely more stylish than the norm and is very easy-going. She is always very happy - which is good, despite the consistent gloomy weather we've been having here in Shanghai. I taught her some slang such as "Old School" and "Word." I hope to improve her fluency in ebonics ten-fold by the end of the semester.

Anyhow, I have lots of pictures to display my adventures in Shanghai - I don't have Flickr, but they are on Facebook. Check em' out if you're my friend!

1 comment:

  1. i can envision your brain expanding from this trip and never being the same. As the great philosopher Oliver Wendell Homes once said: A person's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. YOU=GOOD WRITER> i can see you doing these things and being happy and sad and lonely and friendly and learning and happy

    if only i could transport there for just ONE DAY to experience the littlest things that you are........

    ReplyDelete